I Changed My Resume Layout To Make It Stand Out from the Crowd!

Photo Courtesy of DiverseEdge.com
Have you experience being dumped by several companies after months of looking for that dream job of yours? Maybe your resume is your first problem! Have you ever thought of that? In our last post, we discussed how to make your resume stand out when applying for a job and it summed up to some of the following points in particular:




  • Your your resume is your marketing strategy in selling yourself to a company. 
  • You are what is reflected on your resume.
  • Your resume can be an elegant or sophisticated one or a creative one.
  • When applying for a job, ALWAYS do your homework!
  • Your resume must reflect all your work accomplishments and not other things in particular!
  • It helps a lot when you keep your resume as short as possible, but keep in mind to make it as powerful as well.

  • While it is true to remember some or all of the things listed above to make a stand out resume, you cannot stand out in the crowd if you don't execute them at all. So, as soon as I already understand the different points written above, I immediately took the risk to somehow change my resume a bit and made it into something I will enjoy looking at.

    Below is my sample resume that I made a few years ago to experiment myself on this new idea in making a resume. I want you to compare both resumes and encourage you to write a comment on the comment section below this post. What can you say about the two resumes?


    Basically, both resumes are somehow the same in terms of what were written on it --- my work experiences. Both resumes also showed my skills in computer application programs. However, one is done with an old Microsoft Word program, while the other is created with Adobe In-design Application program.

    If an HR Recruitment Personnel is knowledgeable of the difference between the two computer application programs, he/she must be impressed when I pass the resume on the right, because with just one look at the resume, the HR Recruitment Personnel would know that I have such basic talent with using a publishing application tool. If he/she can think a little further, he/she will immediate think that I will be helpful with the HR works if the HR Department is distributing a Company Newsletter every month. But of course, not all HR Recruitment Personnel would think of that in advance.

    Another thing about the second resume on the right is that I made it so loud without even trying. The colors used were so striking, I would know that the HR Recruitment Personnel will immediately notice it even from a pile of plain and boring resumes out there. But of course, the catch is yet to come.

    Aside from the above-mentioned things about my resume, a resume should always be your marketing strategy. If you will read all throughout, my resume tells a lot about my work experiences and skills, which are the most important elements of all in making a resume. To be honest, I don't have much that work experiences, I only have three company affiliations (including my current work, although my resume above only shows 2 companies) but the best thing is, they are all significant companies which gained me a lot of work knowledge and skills.

    In the end, it does not really matter what type of resume you are using of what kind of application you are using to make a stand out resume. In reality, the content of the resume is what matters most. Be sure to make your resume into as short as one page. Precise, concise, and powerful. The elaboration of the work experiences will be disclosed during the interview... that is, if your resume gets to that point of the job hunting process.

    Making your resume stand out takes a lot of elements to be included. The contents on the resume must also be true, because companies would rather hire truthful people rather than that of "too good to be true" applicants. Until next time, and happy job hunting!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment